Our Talk for Writing Approach in Year Two
- Hook - Children get immersed in the new unit of work.
- Baseline assessment - Cold Task. The children will write in the style of their new topic (newspaper report, diary entry, letter or journey tale etc). Teacher assess them and creates three targets to achieve by the end of this unit.
- Imitation Stage - Children learn the model text (newspaper report, diary entry, letter or journey tale etc), learn it by talking it aloud by creating actions, drawing story maps, boxing up the key features, pulling out the key vocabulary or grammar.
- Innovation Stage: Children change the model text, change the key features. Such as changing the setting, the characters, the problem and resolution.
- Independent stage: Children take all their new learnt skills, create their own plan either a box up plan or a story map and write their piece of work independently - Hot Task. Teacher then assess their work and creates new targets to take forward for the next unit. These targets get stuck to the top of the children's books so any adult working with the child can see them.