Equality and Diversity
St Teresa's Catholic Primary School and Kent Catholic Schools’ Partnership (KCSP) aims to meet its obligations under the public sector equality duty by having due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act 2010 (‘Equality Act’);
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it;
- Foster good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
We aim to present positive role models and challenge pre-conceived ideas in our learning, assemblies and our community so that children may see the importance of and value a rich society where all people have access to opportunity and kindness consistently and without prejudice.
As set out in the DfE guidance on the Equality Act, we aim to advance equality of opportunity by:
- Removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people that are connected to a particular characteristic they have;
- Taking steps to meet the needs of people who have a particular characteristic;
- Encouraging people who have a particular characteristic to participate fully in school life.
St Teresa's aims to foster good relations between those who share a protected characteristic and those who do not by:
- Promoting tolerance, friendship and understanding of a range of religions and cultures through different aspects of our curriculum. This includes teaching in RE, citizenship and personal, social, health and economic education (PHSE). It also includes other curriculum areas, for example in English, children will be introduced to literature from a range of cultures;
- Dealing with relevant issues through assemblies where children will be encouraged to take a lead;
- Encouraging and implementing initiatives to address tensions between different groups. All children will be encouraged to take part in school life, including extra-curricular activities.
We have chosen the following objectives having regard for current legislation and the context of our academy:
- Ensure that staff and governors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand the Academy’s responsibility;
- Promote cultural understanding, awareness and tolerance within our school communities;
- Promote mental health awareness and develop appropriate support and interventions as necessary;
- Close gaps in attainment and achievement between children, especially those eligible for Pupil Premium, children with special educational needs and disabilities, Looked After Children and those from minority ethnic groups;
- Ensure accessibility across the academy site for children, staff and visitors with disabilities;
- Monitor the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by children in our school and support the victims and educate the perpetrators of such incidents appropriately;
- Continuously review and revise the curriculum so that it represents our diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect of all as made in the image of God.
KCSP Equality Objectives
Link to KCSP Equality Policy